How to apply and entry requirements
The application process is via Apply:
- Go to https://www.find-postgraduate-teacher-training.service.gov.uk/ and when you are ready to apply go to: https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-teacher-training
- Create an account
- Confirm your email address via the link you will receive
- Complete your application
- We are listed as Dixons Academies Trust
Your application will be assessed by the recruitment team and a subject specialist e.g. Head of Department.
We are looking for excellent graduates who are committed to making a difference for the young people in Bradford and Leeds. You should be able to work well in a team of highly professional staff in our successful and aspirational academies.
You must have:
- a strong belief in the potential of every child, regardless of their background
- strong academic qualifications:
- 2:2 or above in a degree linked to the subject you want to teach
- Good A Levels linked to the subject you want to teach
- Strong GCSEs including Grade C/4 or above in English and Maths
- For Primary, a Science GCSE Grade C/4 or above
- a passion for teaching and a love of your subject
- the ability to reflect on feedback and act on it to improve
- resilience and determination, enabling you to make a difference for the young people you will teach
If you meet all of our entry requirements and can demonstrate through your personal statement that you are committed to challenging educational and social disadvantage in the North, you will be invited to interview.
If shortlisted, you will be asked to:
- Plan and deliver a 20 minute lesson
- Undertake a subject knowledge test (the assessments are designed to initially assess your subject knowledge and your written communication).
You will also be interviewed and during the interview, the panel will consider your:
- Commitment to making a difference in areas where it matters the most
- Passion for teaching and love of your subject
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Capacity to establish effective relationships inside and outside the classroom
- Suitability to train to teach and to meet the Teachers’ Standards by the end of training
- Ability to reflect on feedback and act on it to improve
- Resilience and determination
Primary interviews follow a slightly different process however the panel has the same considerations.
If successful, you will be given a conditional offer, where the conditions will be clearly articulated to you in your letter.
Some of the key conditions will be that you:
- Have DBS Clearance
- Have your qualifications checked
- Have confirmed you have the health and physical capacity to start training
- Have strong literacy and numeracy skills
Subject knowledge enhancement
Some applicants may require or would benefit from a Subject Knowledge Enhancement Course (SKE), which is available in all shortage subjects. We strongly recommend this as a way of ensuring that you are well equipped and confident to train. Many SKE courses are subsidised nationally. They vary in length and models of learning and include online courses.
Find more information about SKE courses here https://getintoteaching.educat...
A directory of available courses can be found here.
Dixons is committed to finding the very best trainee teachers and so we continue interviewing until we have found them. Applications are treated on a first come, first served basis so apply early to secure your place with Dixons Teacher Training. We will publicise on our website when we have filled all our subject places. This is also communicated through Apply.