Sarah Young has worked as an Investment Director at Impetus for the last ten years. Impetus is a charity with a mission to close the gap in educational and employment outcomes between disadvantaged young people and their better off peers. Sarah’s role is to find high potential educational charities and, alongside core funding, to work with their leadership teams and Boards to help them get better results for young people, and to grow. This work involves helping to strengthen leadership and governance, agree a focused mission, strategy and plan, and to build impact management capability and sustainability. Sarah supported Dixons in this way in a four year partnership which ended at the end of August 2019.
Sarah has also worked with organisations in the education sector that:
- provide volunteer tutors to improve English and Maths GCSE results
- train schools to embed the Philosophy For Children programme
- train schools to embed oracy in the curriculum
- support schools to run effective breakfast clubs to feed hungry children
- are looking to improve English and Maths GCSE retake success rates in FE colleges
- run programmes in and around schools for young people most at risk of exclusion
- work with Pupil Referral units to improve the engagement of their pupils.
Before working at Impetus, Sarah worked in the fund management and venture capital industry for 15 years.